Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Death of a Tyrant.....

Now I'm not one to gloat over anyone's death. But I couldn't help feeling a tinge of gladness and thus making an exception when hearing of the demise of Augusto Pinochet, the former Chilean dictator. It is a pity he escaped justice, but having expressed no regrets I would doubt he'd have reached heaven (if such a place exists, and I believe PInny thought it did. The Christian God is said to look into the heart. For all his observances of formalities Pinny doesn't make the grade as he was an unrepentant sinner. To be forgiven requires contrition, and this characteristic was noticably lacking in le general. This is going by the teachings of Catholicism, the religion Pinochet professed belief in. He'd have been better off being a fundie prod, as that faith does not require ongoing evaluation of one's character and deeds, just initial credence. Roman Catholicism though (at least as I understand it) gives no such free ticket to heaven.

Margaret Thatcher expressed sadness at the death of her best mate Pinny. All I can say is I'm glad she's sad. But she can consle herself with the thught that she is getting on in years and before long may be joining her friend in the heat of the inferno. Not a pleasant place but at least they'll be friends reunited.

I won't upload a picture as I don't want Pinny's ugly mug tainting my blog.

1 comment:

Political Umpire said...

I'm no expert on Chile, so am not qualified to speak of Pinny's regime, but he has a supporter if not an apologist of sorts in the form of a letter in today's Times from an old FCO hack:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,59-2504944,00.html